Socially responsible investments
Tides Canada’s financial assets, including those of our donor advised funds and endowments, are managed under socially responsible investment policies.
Socially responsible investment is the integration of environmental, governance, and social criteria with the traditional investment decision-making process. Whether large institutions or individuals, social investors believe in using economic and market levers to encourage corporate responsibility and positive social change.
We invest in organizations that have been screened using socially responsible investment criteria.
Goals and Screens
Goals – invest in companies that demonstrate these characteristics:
- Their products and services contribute to basic human needs, including consumer health and safety.
- They exhibit superior performance in the protection of basic human rights, and the hiring, training, and promotion of minorities and women.
- They exhibit innovation with respect to products which protect or enhance the environment and/or which evidence superior performance relative to waste utilization and pollution control.
- When operating internationally, they meet the local standards of host countries for all of the above social and environmental dimensions.
Screens – avoid investing in companies that demonstrate these characteristics
- They have poor environmental compliance, ongoing and significant negative environmental impacts
- They have ongoing negative community impacts including: human and indigenous rights records, consumer, workplace and supply chain practices
- They have operations in repressive regimes
- They derive significant revenues from tobacco, gambling or military weapons
Please see our full Investment Policy for details.