The goal of the BC Freshwater Initiative is for all freshwater ecosystems in British Columbia to be in good health by 2030. The Initiative advances this goal by supporting innovative projects and strategic collaboration, including:
- A collaborative of funding organizations that are working together to facilitate the strategic use of collective resources to advance freshwater protection in British Columbia.
- Place-based watershed governance initiatives that bring together governments, water users, and community interests at the watershed scale to make better decisions for the benefit of water and everything that depends on it.
- Efforts that enhance the capacity of Indigenous and non-Indigenous communities and leaders that are engaging in watershed governance.
- The development of sustainable funding sources and innovative financing mechanisms for watershed governance and protection.
- The promotion of best practices in communications and public engagement among water leaders in BC, helping organizations educate and mobilize communities across the province.